ARRL DX CW Contest

I participated in the ARRL DX CW Contest this past weekend.  I didn’t fervently work the contest, but I sat down a couple of times and worked several stations.  Conditions were not the best…but also not the worst…that that I’ve seen.  Fathom_300_X_250_Diamond_V2I didn’t pick up any new DXCC entities…but did work a few that I have not confirmed, so perhaps that will be a benefit.   Finished with about 210 QSOs.  Not bad for me…considering that I was also doing my taxes, spending time with the family, taking care of quite a few things around the house, going to church, family lunch, etc etc.

For this year’s contest I used the N3FJP ARRL DX CONTEST software.  Scott Davis has published a new version  (3.0).  I use all of Scott’s contesting software and I use his AC Log as my station’s primary log.  I enjoy the simplicity and ease of operation.  HOWEVER…it seemed to me that ARRL DX 3.0 acted a little “wonky”.   Quite a few times I received a ‘unhandled exception’ error message…although each time I could click on the CONTINUE button and everything was fine. I was competing in the “assisted” category and had the DX spotting cluster open on the bottom of the screen.  (It’s integrated into the software…not a separate window browser.) A few times my software lagged considerably as I clicked on a DX station expecting the rig to auto tune to that location…yet it just sat there.  I also had an issue with the “DUPE” checker not properly identifying stations I had previously worked.  Again, not all the time…just intermittently. 

The 3.0 does have a “cleaner” look to it and the screen focus is sharper.  I like the look and overall, the software is a great addition to a contesting event. I love the QSOs/hour and QSOs/last 20 minutes type data features…and the running lists per band of DX worked. 

These tech issues could be 100% the result of my ham shack computer. In the end, everything worked as it should.  My log is already submitted to ARRL and all contacts uploaded to LOTW.

No QLF While Viewing This Site!